Welcome to Life, Family, and Religion

Thanks for visiting my blog. I will ponder issues and disscuss events related to living life as a Christian with a family. This is a broad topic, of course, so just about anything is fair game. Check back or suggest topics for discussion.

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Militant Atheism

I am starting to learn how to blog. I can talk about things, but coming up with topics that are at least, to some degree interesting, may be challenging.
I suppose I will need to read other blogs and address issues they are talking about. I recently read about Atheist Revolution, a blog on atheism. I started to check out a few posts and thought I may need to make a few preliminary remarks abut this blog and atheism in general.

Is atheism irrational? I don't think that it is irrational, but I do think there are reasons for atheists to embrace the "belief" of un-belief that are not as pure as snow.

Are religious beliefs irrational? No. Regardless of what atheists claim, there are good reasons for believing that naturalism is unable to explain everything in the world that we experience.

Are atheists only interested in truth? Some may be, but I doubt that is the case most of the time. I think that many people embrace atheism because it is contrary to the majority position.

Is atheism intellectually virtuous? It could be, but only if the issues have been seriously investigated. Christianity can also be an intellectually virtuous belief system, if the believer has seriously investigated the issues. Many on both sides have not.

I don't believe that evidence is the "only" or even "most important" issue for a lack of belief in God or even a positive belief that there is no God. Usually, and from my own experience in discussions with published, academic atheists, it is not the evidence that makes someone decide to be an atheist. There is usually something else. Usually an emotional reaction to suffering, pain, or evil.

I will explore this topic more in the coming days. But I invite discussion on the topic.

1 comment:

  1. Wade,

    Just found your blog. Looking forward to what you will be discussing. You are the smartest one in our family. Love ya. See you on Christmas.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete