Welcome to Life, Family, and Religion

Thanks for visiting my blog. I will ponder issues and disscuss events related to living life as a Christian with a family. This is a broad topic, of course, so just about anything is fair game. Check back or suggest topics for discussion.

Friday, April 16, 2010

Why do people leave the church when they are no longer forced to come?

Do we even have to ask that kind of question? If you are forced to do something and then no one can force you, I would quit. I used to push back against begin forced to do anything. I bet that if my mother came to me and said, "you better breathe, or I'll go get your father!" I would have held my breath. I was just rebellious when I got to the point where I finally knew everything.
But you know what is the interesting thing. I still see my mom. I still talk to and do things with my dad. We still have a relationship because WE HAVE A RELATIONSHIP!!!!!! Hello????
I don't go back to my old school building or seek out the princiPAL...I drive by it from time to time but not because I love the place, but because I have memories about friends and teachers (ie. relationships). Ok, I might stick my head in from time to time just to see how the buildings look, but it is because of the relationships that I fondly view my high school.
But in the Church we think it can be all about music and lighting and productions and pizza and trips. WAKE UP, its about the relationships we build. We need to build those relationships cross-generational. The ancient peoples of the Bible mentored the young, they did not separate them from the ones they needed to learn from. Our society is doing things very wrong on many levels. One of which is not connecting the young people to the older people. Age grading ministry and education is a problem.
Ok, Ok, Ok, down from the soapbox.
Check out the link though, the article is thought provoking.

Myths about Emerging Adults
Interesting article about young adults and their political and religious issues. They are not who we thought they were.
Another article about churches and debt management for the congregation.
Changing the Debt Culture

No comments:

Post a Comment